Summer English Language Institute (SELI) at Ashley Hall
2019 Ashley Hall Summer English Language Institute
July 22 through August 3, 2019
For girls, ages 13 to 18
Join other international students for an immersive language experience in one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the United States, Charleston, South Carolina. The girls will live in Ashley Hall’s Elizabeth Rivers Lewine ′54 House for Global Studies, a stately historic Charleston home located in the heart of the historic district, and enjoy all the city has to offer.
Itinerary for 2019 Summer Program
Veteran Ashley Hall administrators, faculty, and staff manage the summer session, and American Ashley Hall students live together with the ESL students and assist in all areas. The curricular theme is “Careers of Women,” and in addition to daily classes on the subject, students have the opportunity to visit various local businesses and meet successful women in different industries. All English proficiency levels are welcome.
Features and activities (subject to change):
- Daily classes taught by Ashley Hall faculty
- Rooming with Ashley Hall Upper School students (Global Ambassadors) who act as mentors, teachers, and friends
- Visits to local businesses (Boeing, Volvo, major magazine publisher, city courthouse and judge chambers, and much more)
- Dinner and panel session with prominent female leaders in Charleston (judges, doctors, lawyers, restaurant owners, computer specialists, and more)
- Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) by certified faculty
- Historic church visits
- Professional baseball game
- Farmers Market visits
- Historic plantation visits
- Beach outings and access to campus pool
- American home visits
- Guided historic tours of Charleston
- Outdoor experiences
- Musical concerts
Included: The program includes all meals, lodging, activities, transportation (including to and from airport), and one Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). Students are asked to bring some extra spending money for additional food and personal shopping.
Not included: Air travel is not included.
Health insurance is not included in tuition but must be obtained through Ashley Hall for an additional $150 or through a US based private insurance company. See application for more details.
For more information: Please contact Jeff Dionne, Director of Global Studies and Director of Summer English Language Institute (SELI), at email@example.com or 1 (843) 965-8471.