Summer English Language Institute (SELI) at Ashley Hall
2018 Ashley Hall Summer English Language Institute
July 23 through August 5, 2018
For girls, ages 13 to 18
Join other international students for an immersive language experience in one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the United States—Charleston, South Carolina. The girls will live in Ashley Hall’s Elizabeth Rivers Lewine ′54 House for Global Studies, a stately historic Charleston home located in the heart of the historic district, and enjoy all the city has to offer.
Itinerary for 2018 Summer Program
Veteran Ashley Hall administrators, faculty and staff run the summer session, and American Ashley Hall students live together with the ESL students and assist in all areas. The curricular theme is “Careers of Women,” and in addition to daily classes on the subject, students have the opportunity to visit various local businesses and meet successful women in different industries. All English proficiency levels are welcome.
Features and Activities (subject to change):
- Daily classes taught by veteran Ashley Hall faculty
- Rooming with Ashley Hall high school students (“Global Ambassadors”) who act as mentors, teachers, and friends
- Visits to local businesses (Boeing, Volvo, major magazine publisher, city courthouse and judge chambers, and much more)
- Dinner & panel session with successful women (judges, doctors, lawyers, restaurant owners, computer specialists, and more)
- Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) by certified faculty
- Historic church visits
- Professional baseball game
- Farmers Market visits
- Historic plantation visits
- Swimming at beaches & pools
- American home visits
- Kayak trips
- Guided historic tours of Charleston
- Outdoor experiences including Kayaking and Ropes-Course challenges
- Musical concerts
Included: The program includes all meals, lodging, activities, transportation (including to and from airport), and one Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). Students are asked to bring some extra spending money for additional food and personal shopping.
Not included: Air travel is not included.
Health insurance is not included in tuition but must be obtained through Ashley Hall for an additional $150 or through a US based private insurance company. See application for more details.